Our guide to storing fresh milk
We serve more than 27,000 pints of fresh milk to our customers every single day. We keep and store our fresh milk in refrigerators at between 3 and 4 degrees Celsius.
After nearly 100 years of delivering milk across the region we know that our milk tastes best if you follow these simple guidelines:
• Always put your milk in your fridge as quickly as you can. We recommend that refrigerators at home should be as cold as 3 degrees Celsius
• If we deliver to your place of work, ensure that at least one person takes responsibility for bringing in the milk and monitoring the temperature of the work refrigerator.
• After you’ve opened it, milk is safe to consume for up to 3 days. This is why many people prefer to buy smaller amounts more often rather than keeping larger containers open in the refrigerator for too long.
• Remember to open new milk containers in the same order in which you bought them. First in the fridge, first out.
• Keep milk containers closed and stored away from strong-smelling food items in the fridge—milk can detect and absorb these odours.
• Store milk on refrigerator shelves where it is cooler, rather than in the refrigerator doors.
• Whenever possible, leave our milk in its original container to safeguard its flavour and nutritional value rather than decanting it to other containers.
• Avoid exposing milk to light, as light destroys certain vitamins, such as vitamin D and riboflavin.
• Many people ask us about freezing milk. Milk can be frozen for up to 6 weeks without any impact on its flavour and nutritional value; however, upon thawing, it can separate and lose its smooth texture. Semi-skimmed and skimmed milk freeze better than whole milk. Remember to thaw milk in the fridge so it thaws slowly.
If you have followed the above guidelines and you have opened your milk and something isn’t right please contact us immediately. We get very few complaints about the quality of our milk but where we do – we always act promptly and decisively to ensure we secure your trust for future purchases.
As a local family business, the freshness of our milk is the most important thing to us.